How to Build a Pole Barn Garage
A new garage can be the perfect solution for keeping your vehicles out of the elements, serving as a workshop, or just being an all-around great place to store valuables. If you have a background in construction, you can save tons of money by building your own garage from one of our DIY kits. Learn how to build a pole barn garage – and what you need to get started.
At New Holland Supply, we sell top-quality garage and pole barn kits that are used all over the east coast. Our kits provide everything you need to build your very own structure from the ground up – provided you have the skill set to do so. See more about how to build a pole barn garage and what you need before you can get started.
Building a Pole Garage: Prerequisites & Kits
Deciding whether you can tackle building a pole garage on your own is a conversation that we often have with prospective clients. Here are the prerequisites you need to get started:
- Building Permit – Although it differs depending on where you live, in most places a building permit is necessary before building a pole garage. Oftentimes the borough or township will require seeing engineered plans, which New Holland Supply is able to provide. The only major exception that we have seen to this is that sometimes agricultural buildings are exempt from permitting. This is also the right time to make sure you know where on your property you are legally allowed to build.
- A Level Space – Having a level area on which to build your pole barn is very helpful for making the process as easy as possible. If you don’t have a flat area, you’ll very likely want to consider grading before you build.
- Two or Three People – Involving multiple people all of whom have basic construction experience will be essential for building the frame and trusses. Other than those tasks, though, you can build it entirely on your own – it will just be more time consuming.
- The Right Tools – The majority of building a pole garage is done with standard power tools that you are almost certain to have at your home. The only power tool you’ll likely need to rent is an auger to dig the footings. However, everything from securing the siding to building the frame can be done with standard drills. See why steel garages are the smart choice for many DIY projects.
- Time to Dedicate to It – While building a pole garage is not extremely challenging, it is a serious investment in time. Expect to dedicate two or three weekends to completing the entire structure. Of course, the more people you have to help, the faster it will go.
Popular Options with Your Custom Kit
When you design your garage or horse barn kit with New Holland Supply, you have a full range of accessories and styles that create the aesthetic to match your tastes and your property. In addition to choosing the type of garage and its dimensions, you can also select from a variety of accessories to give it the perfect look. These are some of the most popular selections:
- Snow guards
- Siding colors
- Custom doors
- Extra Windows
Get Your Price Today
We hope this gave you a little more insight into how to build a pole barn garage and the requirements before you can get started. If you want to be among the countless homeowners every year who build their own garages with us, we’re here to help. The first step is a conversation with one of our knowledgeable kit designers. We’ll work with you to design the perfect garage kit – and give you a price. This is also a great time to ask questions and get an even better feel for the DIY building process.