Barndominiums are starting to create a real buzz in today’s volatile housing market. People are looking for alternatives to traditional homes, and a barndominium offers the opportunity for customization, affordability, and a unique design.
In this blog, we will discuss the truth about barndominiums, compare the pros and cons, and help you decide if a barndominium is a smart move for your new home.
So, if you’re considering a barndominium for yourself, keep reading to learn more about these unique dwellings!
Truths and Myths About Barndominiums
Many people believe that barndominiums are simply converted barns or cheap, makeshift homes. However, the reality is that barndominiums can be just as luxurious and well-built as traditional houses.
In fact, many barndominiums are custom-built using high quality materials and incorporate modern design elements. These unique homes can offer the convenience and flexibility of an open floor plan, while also providing ample storage space.
However, there are still many misconceptions about barndominiums… let’s clear up some of these myths:
Myth 1: “Barndominiums are just converted barns.”
While some barndominiums may start out as converted barns, many are custom-built from the ground up using high quality materials. These homes can include all the amenities of a traditional house, such as a fully functioning kitchens, modern bathrooms, multilevel, etc.
Myth 2: “Barndominiums are cheap and makeshift.”
While a barndominium can be affordable, “cheap” in quality is simply not true. Many barndominiums are luxurious and well-built, using high quality materials and incorporating modern design elements. In fact, the strength and longevity of a barndominium can often exceed that of a traditional house due to the use of steel framing.
Myth 3: “Barndominiums are only for country living and rural areas.”
While barndominiums may have originated in rural areas, they can also be found in suburban and even urban neighborhoods. These unique homes offer flexibility in design and can fit into a variety of landscapes. If you have the proper acreage and permits, a barndominium can be built just about anywhere.
Pros and Cons of Barndominiums
Like any type of housing, there are pros and cons to living in a barndominium. Before making the decision to build or buy one, it’s important to weigh the potential advantages and disadvantages.
Pros of Barndominiums
- Affordability: Building a barndominium can often be more affordable than building a traditional house, due to the efficiency of using steel framing, as well as lower labor costs.
- Open floor plan: Barndominiums often feature open floor plans, allowing for flexibility in design and the ability to easily adjust the layout as needed. These structures allow for ultimate customization and can be built to fit practically any budget.
- Storage space: The large, open interior of a barndominium allows for plenty of storage options, such as loft spaces or an attached garage or workshop.
- Durability: The use of steel framing in barndominium construction makes these homes incredibly durable and able to withstand harsh weather conditions.
Cons of Barndominiums
- Limited resale value: Due to their unique design, it can be difficult to find buyers for a barndominium, leading to lower resale value.
- Zoning restrictions: In some areas, there may be zoning restrictions that limit or prohibit the building of a barndominium. It’s important to research and understand any local regulations before beginning construction.
- Difficult to finance: Some lenders may not offer financing for a barndominium, making it more difficult to obtain a mortgage.
Is a Barndominium Right for You?
Ultimately, the decision to purchase a barndominium should be based on your personal preferences and lifestyle needs. If you’re looking for a unique and customizable living space with potential storage advantages, a barndominium may be a great option for you.
However, if you prefer a more traditional living space and increased resale potential, a typical home may be a better fit. Do your research, consult with experts, and weigh the pros and cons to determine if a barndominium is the right choice for you.
New Holland Supply – Pole Building Builders Near You
Speaking of experts, New Holland Supply specializes in pole building design and construction – including barndominiums. We offer customizable options and work closely with each client to create the perfect pole building for their needs. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help with your next project!